User Testing Tip for iOS: Screen Recordings
Posted on Sun, 01/31/2016 - 02:33
I recently ran into an issue with an app on my iPhone. I contacted the lead developer on the project, who then requested that I send him a video of the problem.
Huh? How do I record a video of my iPhone screen? Do I hold my phone up to another phone or webcam? That doesn't seem like a great idea…
Of course, there IS a better way. After a quick Google search, I came up with this great write-up from HowToGeek: http://www.howtogeek.com/199732/how-to-record-a-video-of-your-iphone-or-ipad%E2%80%99s-screen-from-your-mac/
The article is a bit wordy, so here is the TL;DR:
- Plug your iPhone into your Mac OSX device (Yosemite or higher).
- Open the QuickTime Player app.
- Select "File -> New Movie Recording".
- Click the down arrow next to the red Record button (See screenshot below).
- Select your iPhone as the Camera and the Microphone for the recording (See screenshot below).
- Hit the Record button.
- Use your iPhone as you would normally.
Et voilà! You now have a true-to-life screen recording from your iPhone!
Screenshot of the QuickTime Player controls